Burn Injury Lawyer Columbia
Burns are among the most painful types of injuries. They often require extensive hospital stays and rehabilitation for months after the incident. The emotional and physical side effects from burn injuries can last a lifetime. If you’ve been a victim of a burn injury in Columbia and someone else was at fault, our Columbia burn injury lawyers may be able to help you recover damages for your injuries.
Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fire
Fire-related accidents result in serious burns and injuries. According to the National Fire Protection Association, there’s a fire once every 20 seconds in the United States. They also estimate that most fire-related deaths and injuries occur in homes and vehicles. Though we most often think of burns as being related to fire sources, you can also be burned by certain chemicals, hot liquids, even steam. In many cases, these injuries are preventable and due to another’s negligence. Another’s simple act of carelessness can create a lifetime of negative consequences.
Types of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries range from minor afflictions to permanently disfiguring and disabling conditions. The medical community classifies burn injuries into these categories:
- Injuries due to smoke inhalation: When materials burn, the fumes can damage our lungs and burn our windpipes. The majority of fire-related injuries are the result of smoke inhalation, not skin burns. Burning man-made materials such as vinyl releases phosphine, which can burn the lungs and cause pulmonary edema.
- First-degree burns: Physicians characterize first-degree burns by their dry and red appearance. They only affect the outermost layer of skin. A common example of a first-degree burn is a sunburn.
- Second-degree burns: These penetrate to the lower levels of the skin and are extremely painful. Blistering is common.
- Third-degree burns: This most serious type of burn, paradoxically, doesn’t initially hurt. When a burn goes deep enough to destroy all layers of the skin, it also destroys the nerve endings that give us our perception of pain. These burns almost always require hospitalization. Doctors use skin grafts to replenish skin, and the healing process is very painful.
Burn victims are also more prone to other complications, like infection. Our skin is our first defense against germs, so severe burns leave victims immuno-compromised. Due to the complexities of burn injuries, it’s important to hire a skilled burn injury lawyer to handle your personal injury case.
Are You a Victim of a Burn Injury in Columbia, Maryland?
Burn injuries are an unfortunate and all-too-common occurrence. If you’ve been injured as the result of a fire, chemical, or scalding accident, you might be wondering about your legal options. You may also have questions about paying your bills or how to make up for time off from work. Retaining the services of a personal injury attorney is an important step in regaining your emotional and economic freedom. At Discepolo Firm, we work with actuaries and other experts to determine a settlement amount based on:
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Medical bills
- Long-term care needs, if applicable
- Lost wages from missed work time, including any loss in earning capacity
- Punitive damages, in the case of gross negligence
- Emotional turmoil or psychological trauma
If you’ve been injured in an accident and think you may be entitled to a burn injury claim, contact the Columbia burn injury lawyers at Discepolo Firm. Our office serves the Columbia, MD, greater Baltimore and Chicago areas, and reaches nationwide, providing resources and closure to families.
Your claims process begins with a free initial consultation. An associate will review the specifics of your case, and if we see legal grounds for a suit, we’ll offer our services on a contingency-fee basis. We don’t want you to pay the price for someone else’s negligence, so we keep our fees to a minimum. Discuss your options with one of our compassionate associates. To get started with your risk-free case evaluation, get in touch with our office today.